Sunday, May 16, 2010

Memory

Shwetha and I used to spend hours together at this one stationary store called Kazim, in Markaz Al Jumeirah mall in Dubai. Achen (her dad) would go to read the magazines and we poured over the pens, notebooks and rubbers (erasers). We would discuss which marker tip was better and admire the Cambridge compass set - which we both actually had and used as a school requirement.

The year that I moved to Toronto Shwetha came to visit me and she brought a cute little gift. It was a lipstick set inside a grey and gold pouch. As she handed it to me she said, "I know you will like the packaging more than the gift," and and she was right. I don't know what happened to the lipsticks because I don't wear makeup but I kept that pouch and until recently used it to store jewellery.


Our aesthetic awareness has evolved over the years but often we are still more drawn to the way something is packaged than what is inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment